Clarity and honesty are powerful forces. Today is the one-week anniversary of the terror attack in Boston, and it is important to remember that immediately following the terrorist bombing of the Boston Marathon on Monday, April 15, 2013, many liberal / leftist members of the commentariat took to the air angrily and slanderously blaming “right-wing conservatives”. They blamed guns, they blamed the Tea Party, they blamed Republicans. They were wrong each time.
As point of reference: after the shooting of Rep. Gabby Giffords, leftists blamed the Tea Party. Jared Loughner was a registered Democrat. After the Aurora Theater shooting, Brian Ross of ABC news reported to George Stephanopoulos on the air this way:
Stephanopoulos: I’m going to go to Brian Ross. You’ve been investigating the background of Jim Holmes here. You found something that might be significant.
Ross: There’s a Jim Holmes of Aurora, Colorado, page on the Colorado Tea party site as well, talking about him joining the Tea Party last year. Now, we don’t know if this is the same Jim Holmes. But it’s Jim Holmes of Aurora, Colorado.
Stephanopoulos: Okay, we’ll keep looking at that. Brian Ross, thanks very much.
The shooter, James Holmes not only turned out to be a Democrat, but was an active member of Occupy Wall Street.
I would venture to say that a clear pattern has emerged: random act of mass violence, MSM reflexively blames the right, the killer turns out to be a leftist or evil extremist, story drops from view.
* September 2009: The discovery of hanged census-taker Bill Sparkman in rural Kentucky fueled media speculation that he’d been killed by anti-government Tea Partiers. In fact, he’d killed himself and staged his corpse to look like a homicide so his family could collect on life insurance.
* February 2010: Joe Stack flew his small plane into an IRS building in Austin, Texas. The media immediately suggested that the anti-tax rhetoric of the Tea Party led to the attack. In fact, Stack’s suicide note quoted the Communist Manifesto.
* That same month, a professor at the University of Alabama, Amy Bishop, shot and killed three colleagues at a faculty meeting. The gun-loving Tea Party came under immediate suspicion. But Bishop was a lifelong Democrat and Obama donor.
* March 2010: John Patrick Bedell shot two Pentagon security officers at close range. The media went wild with speculation that a right-wing extremist had reached the end of his rope. Bedell turned out to be a registered Democrat and 9/11 Truther.
* May 2010: New York authorities disarmed a massive car bomb in Times Square. Mayor Bloomberg immediately speculated that the bomber was someone upset about the president’s new health-care law. The media trumpeted the idea that crazed conservatives had (again, they implied) turned to violence. In fact, the perp was Faisal Shahzad, an Islamic extremist.
Immediately after the Boston Marathon Bombing, on the rare occasion when anyone even remotely suggested the possibility that the bombing may have been carried out by radical Muslim fanatics, bent on killing westerners, the suggestion was immediately dismissed as Islamophobic, bigoted, profiling, racist, alarmist, narrow-minded, and dangerous.
One talking head – Salon’s David Sirota – went so far as to publish an article titled; “Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American“, in which he bemoans the consequences of a bombing carried out by a non WASP terrorist: increased defense spending, vigilance against further attacks, and reprisals that further marginalize dangerous groups.
Then, on Thursday we learned that the terrorists were in fact Muslim jihadists. Again, Americans were cautioned to not take this incident as an indictment of the entire culture. This is true. Not every Muslim is a jihadist.
But every jihadist is a Muslim.
This fact, in and of itself must have some significance, whether as part of a larger, ongoing discussion, or as an external dynamic.
It has proven to be all too irresponsible for us – as a culture – to look at issues of healthcare, guns, immigration or elections and arrive at the conclusion with a problem so big, so dire; only a massive, the only possible solution is an all-encroaching government intrusion – but yet a violent, dangerous, deadly force like radical Islam and fanatical Muslims is to be entirely ignored as a existential threat… because we don’t want to profile, or stereotype.
The simple irrefutable truth of the matter is that liberals (and Leftists writ large) are so blinded by hatred of the Right and are desperate to blame all tragedies and evil – natural or man-made – on Conservatives and Conservatism. So, the left – from MSNBC to NPR all of whom (to use Rahm Emanuel‘s favorite pickup line) “never want a serious crisis to go to waste”, immediately blames the right for anything it can, rather than the actual cause of the problem. Worst still, they gleefully ignore any terror groups on the left; Occupy Wall Street, Greenpeace, Anonymous.
Terrorist jihad is caused by radical Muslims. The sooner we accept that fact, the easier it will be to prevent future incidents and further loss of life. Acceptance of that fact does not make us bigots, racists or Islamophobes. It makes us safer. It is equivalent to understanding that fire is hot, and that water is wet. To willfully continue ignoring this fact needlessly continues to place our children in danger.
Leftists and Liberals do our families, our culture, our nation and our continued existence a grave disservice if they force us to continue down this path.